Sunday, March 29, 2015

Learning Challenge


The challenge I decided to entertain was learning how to do "SNAKE," also known as shoulder hooping. I wanted to be able to keep the hoop up for longer than 3 rotations without falling with an advanced hoop.

This week I practiced with my beginner hoop and next week I will use the advanced hoop. Before I was able to get about 2-3 rotations. This week I got 5 rotations so I was excited about that.

There is so much freedom and creativity in hoopdancing with the freestyle that occurs. That is how you learn anything...right? Trial and error. You get some guidance and tips and then you practice to perfect what you are doing. When you take a class with #hoopgirl it always ends in what's called a "jam session."

Of course practice is frustrating because I want what I want at that moment usually and I want to be the best at whatever I do. Getting just two more rotations was very satisfying. I'm surprised that that move is still hard for me after all this time. I think making me practice just that will help but its so hard not to go to my "go to" moves.

I haven't had the time to take a class or go to Delores Park last week and next week I will drop in to a class or do a community jam in San Francisco. Right now YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQw1Dbv-hq)and Hooping.org have been the resources that I have been using. Mainly its just practice that I need to get my rotations on.

This was 3/27/2015 (5 rotations) 
FYI it was 80's day so I dressed in my 1980's New York B--Girl attire. 

No comments:

Post a Comment