Friday, March 20, 2015

Continuous Learner


The life I live comes with a lot of trials and tribulations. How do I get through my existence? Learning and experiencing new ideas, thoughts, philosophies, activities, and places. With participatory learning in mind I want to learn a new skill and be able to document my progress and reflect on my process of learning. There are so many different things I've been wanting to learn or explore further but was able to narrow it down.



  1. Skateboard- I've always wanted to learn how to skateboard. But I'm too old and scared I would fall and really hurt myself at this point. That ship has sailed. 
  2. Knit-My grandmother tried to teach me how to knit when I was younger but I never got to make that scarf that I wanted. It was very frustrating and I don't have the time to sit and knit these days. 
  3. Cook Soup-I love soup but I only enjoy the expensive gourmet soups from restaurants. I want to make my own but I think that would be too easy.
  4. Hoopdance-I've taken hoopdance classes and became a license certified level 1 hoopdance instructor but have maintained at the same level. I still have not mastered the "snake" which has been the bane of my hoopdance life. I would like to eventually work my way to a move called "zest" where you take each arm out one at a time during the rotation of the hoop but you must first master SNAKE.
So there it is.... HOOPDANCE!!!

I will try to master the move Cristabel Zamor has coined "snake." Snake is an on the body move that the hoop circles your upper body. I've successfully completed two or three rotations with a large beginner hoop but haven't continued as I began to train more with off body moves because they were easier and more entertaining. 

Goal: Snake with a medium sized hoop for 30 seconds

Resources: YouTube, Hooping.org, Delores Park Weekdays, Hoopdance drop ins


With the amount of time I have in my life and the nature of the activity I find this will be beneficial because it will also make me a better teacher and force me to not just move on the the next thing because I have more success. 

I will try to practice snake with my medium sized hoop for 20-30 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. This I can do at home or at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment